If you think this picture is funny, you should go here to read the caption.
It’d be hilarious if only he weren’t actually our President.
According to the accompanying Washington Post article, Bush has explained his apparent lack of interest in actually visiting any of the places around the world to which his job sends him by stating that he “lives in a bubble.” I wish he did. I wish someone had considered such a containment strategy years ago. Unfortunately, the “bubble” to which the man refers is simply an imprecise metaphor for the complexity of Presidential security detail.
The story behind the photo:
After some back and forth about Iraq and China, Ken Herman of Cox News Service asked why in the earlier session with Hu the president had “seemed a little off your game.”
“Have you ever heard of jet lag?” Bush asked.
“Well, good. That answers your question.”
Herman had another. But Bush had had enough and headed for the exit.
Except that the double doors he picked to leave through were locked.
Sheepishly, Bush turned back to the press. “I was trying to escape,” he said. “It didn’t work.”
The Post also reports that senior White House officials along for the ride, when the dinner bell rang in South Korea, headed straight for the local Outback Steakhouse.
Is there anything these people do that is not embarrassing?
Spent yesterday not grading papers and instead making mix CDs. I’m waking up to this one, despite the unpromising title:
Beer Drinkin’ Music for Dorian & Marianne
1. Metric – The Police and the Private
2. The Ditty Bops – Wishful Thinking
3. Old 97’s – Barrier Reef
4. Miss Derringer – The Letter
5. Camera Obscura – Keep It Clean
6. Meryn Cadell – Spelling Bee
7. Brenda Kahn – Eggs on Drugs
8. Bob Dylan – Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream
9. Ass Ponys – Earth to Grandma
10. Scout Niblett – Your Beat Kicks Back Like Death
11. Sons & Daughters – Red Receiver
12. Tegan & Sara – You Wouldn’t Like Me
13. 6ths (with Sarah Cracknell) – Kissing Things
14. All Girl Summer Fun Band – Canadian Boyfriend
15. The American Analog Set – Aaron & Maria
16. Silver Jews – Punks in the Beerlight
17. The Decemberists – Angel, Won’t You Call Me?
18. Old 97’s – Lonely Holiday
19. Stars – The Calendar Girl
Counting down the hours till I meet Z in South Bend for Thanksgiving. Just over 35 to go.